Saturday, October 30, 2010

Day 20-Nicknames

Happy Saturday! We had a wonderful time at our Halloween party last night! I won a trophy for one of the games we played and Jason got a ribbon for his costume! My costume was lame but comfy! Here are a couple of pictures from the party:

Jason as Brett Farve and me as 80's girl
Our winning team!
Me, Holly and Hef

Now to the 30 day blog challenge:

From the minute I was born I have been called a by a nickname. My maiden name is James so therefore my dad wanted to name me Jessie James but my mom protested saying that someday I might need a more "professional" name so she suggested they name me Jessica but call me Jessie that way I would have option. Well if you read my day one post you know that I hate that my name is one thing and I go by something else. Yes, the logical thing would be to just start going by Jessica but honestly I really don't like that name. My name is Jessie and it has been for almost my whole life.


I went by Jessie from the time I was born until the 6th grade then I decided since I was in middle school I needed a more "professional" name so I would start going Jessica. That lasted all of a few weeks and quickly went back to Jessie. 


When I got to college that is when more nicknames started to come about. In my sorority most of the girls went by their last name because that is how roll was taken so it typically just stuck. So one of my first nicknames in college was James. Other nicknames from college would include JJ or JessieJames (yes, all as one word). 


I worked a wonderful summer camp for three summer and of course you can't work at camp without a nickname. This one wasn't anything too exciting. Most people just called me Jessie but two of my very close camp friends who had worked at Wildwood the summer before I started couldn't call me Jessie. See there was the camp dog whose name was Jessie therefore they felt it was weird to call me the same name as the dog so they started calling me Jess. 




On a side note it is story time about names!
Ever since I was a little girl I dreamed of a big wedding, a wonderful guy and changing my last name to my husband's once we were married. Well Jason proposed on September 29, 2006 and I was so happy! I couldn't wait to start planning and living out my dream wedding. About a week after he proposed it hit me...I will become a Stinson. But I am Jessie James, Jessie Stinson just doesn't sound right. How can this be. I am Jessie James, I have worked hard to create a name for myself in my profession and beyond that Jessie James is my identity! So I sat down and had the discussion with Jason about my feelings. He was so supportive, as well as his family, and said "whatever you want to do is fine with me, if you last name is James fine or if it is Stinson fine" WOW! So supportive but I was still lost on what to do, well finally about a month before the wedding I decided that I would change my name to Stinson. The final straw was when I sat down to think about once we had kids. I didn't want my kids to have to explain to people that my mom's name is this and my dad's name is this but they are still married. I totally understand that divorce happens so kids might have parents with different last names but when we are happy married I didn't want to have to explain to my kids why I didn't want to change my name. 


I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!




Make sure to head over to Kate's blog!

1 comment:

Katie @ Miss Klohn's Classroom said...

Thanks for playing along! I love the Brett Favre costume, very creative!