Monday, January 6, 2014

Mexican Monday

Happy Monday! Today was my first day back at work since December 19 and all I could think about all day was my sweat pants and taking a nap! I did power though the day but I did sneak in a cat nap when I got home from work before making dinner! Hopefully the rest of the week gets easier because today was a little rough working eight hours straight! 

I hope you are ready for an AWESOME new recipe! I have been trying to think of how to convey just how good this was but I really am at a loss for words so you will just need to try this for yourself! VERY YUMMY!

Oven-Fried Chicken Chimichangas
Time:
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: roughly 25 minutes

What you will need:
2/3 cup picante sauce or salsa
1 tss ground cumin
1/2 tsb dried oregano, leaves crushed
1 1/2 cup cooked chicken, chopped-I shredded the chicken because we like it better than chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 green onions, chopped (about 1/4 cup)-we didn't use these because I forgot to get them at the store
8" flour tortillas- I used 7 tortillas
2 tbsp margarine, melted

Direction
1. Pre heat oven to 400
** I choose to boil the chicken because we prefer shredded chicken. If you want to do the same you will need to bring a pot of water to a rolling boil then add your chicken and let it cook for 15-30 minutes. If the chicken is thawed then it will only take 15 minutes whereas if it is frozen it will take more like 30 minutes.
2.Mix chicken, picante sauce or salsa, cumin, oregano, cheese and onions.
3. Place about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla.
4. Fold opposite sides over filling.
5. Roll up from the bottom and place seam-side down on the baking sheet.
6. Brush with melted margarine.
7. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
8. Garnish with additional cheese and green onions and serve with salsa on the side. 
ENJOY!
The Chicken boiling on the stove

Shredding the chicken
**we use two forks when shredding-one to hold the chicken and the other to pull the chicken away**

The chicken mixture

The stuffed tortillas with butter on top before going into the oven. 

The finished product!
I added sour cream, salsa and shredded cheese to the top.
They didn't look "fried" when they came out of the oven but they tasted very "crunchy" 


Thoughts:
This dinner quickly became a house favorite at the Stinson house! Overall they were very quick to make (especially if you take out the time to boil the chicken) and so very yummy! The next time I make them I will more than likely boil the chicken ahead of time then I can just grab it out of the refrigerator and fill the tortillas.

I hope you all are finding a way to stay warm!



No comments: