Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Week 3-Monday

Mexican Monday-- Santa Fe Casserole with Steamed Asparagus

What you will need:
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic
1/2 tablespoon EVOO
Pinch of salt
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 tablespoon pepper
1/2 can red beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup milk
1 and 1/2 cup brown rice, cooked-We used a steamer bag HOWEVER! Jason forgot to put it in the mix!
2 eggs, beaten
1 and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 large green pepper, chopped

Direction
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees and spray a casserole dish with EVOO spray.
2. In a skillet, cook the onion, garlic, and EVOO on Medium High until tender.  Add the salt and chili powder.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the pepper, milk, beans, COOKED brown rice, eggs, cheddar cheese, and green pepper.
4. Pour mixture into casserole dish and sprinkle with extra pepper.
5. Bake casserole for 25 minutes or until center is firm.
6. Let cool 5 minutes and serve.
ENJOY!
 

Steamed Asparagus



Stars
Jessie: 2.5 out of 5
Jason: 2.0 out of 5
*Our ratings could be different if we would have actually cooked the meal it was suppose to be. 

Thoughts:
It took us about 45 minutes from start to ready to serve.  Jason said he gave this meal a 2.0 because the casserole was runny, he put too much water in the tea he made and he forgot the rice! I thought it was ok. I would like to try it again and mix the rice. I think the rice would really help it set up. The flavor overall wasn't too bad but it was a little on the spicy side. Overall the meal was pretty easy and ok.

2012 Summer Transformation
Weight: Since I didn't weigh in since May 31st I was a little scared to get on the scale but it wasn't so bad. Monday is my official weigh in day I'm down 1.5 total since starting so I only gained 1 pound over two weeks which I will take with the way that I ate. 
Water: 48 oz...I need to get back on track!
Breakfast: 2 pieces white Goldfish bread with peanut butter and a banana
Lunch: chips and queso dip
Snack: am-nothing
           pm-Nature Valley Sweet & Salty Nut Granola Bar
Dinner: Santa Fe Casserole with Steamed Asparagus
Exercise: 50 minutes of water zumba-our normal teacher was gone so we had a sub
Sleep: I went to bed a bit late last night since we were watching the MIA/BOS basketball game. I think it was around 11:30 when I finally fell asleep then I was up at 6:30am so I still got 7 hours of sleep which isn't bad.

No comments: